Sunday, February 24, 2013

Factory Farmed Animals

When I first saw the map of factory farming in the United States I was shocked. I had no idea of how much of this was going on in this country. And if you scroll down the page a little there is an animal kill counter!!! WTF! This kill counter is based off "Number of animals who have been killed worldwide by the meat, dairy, and egg industries." Chickens by far have it the worst. When I was eating animals I'd say to myself that chickens were good since eating the breast was the "white" part of the bird and that it was a leaner cut of meat. I figured that if I wasn't eating red meat (beef) that I was making a healthy choice. Looking back it was strange logic I was using to excuse my ignorance, but now I know better.

 If you are interested where the kill counter originated visit this action for animals blog They have a longer list of animals that are being slaughtered (i.e. horses, rodents, camels). Wow! I had no clue that the number of animals being killed was so high. 

To give you an idea of what animals are on the list check this out:
1. Chickens
2. Ducks
3. Pigs
4. Rabbits
5. Turkeys
6. Geese
7. Sheep
8. Goats
9. Cows and calves
10. Rodents

There is a great website called Woodstock Farms that has a lot of useful information. Please check them out and read some of their articles. There is a section called "Learn" that offers some good reading material! 

Hope this helps you in some way in your journey in life and for me I've got so much more to learn.
Thanks for visiting,
Rena :)



No comments:

Post a Comment