Friday, April 10, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week 2



This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS

1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?

This week went by so fast! That's a good thing because I am exhausted. There were demo's, and a lot of cookery in lab class this past week. I counted about 20 recipes we made in lab and it was a blast. The timing, plating, cooking (both wet and dry methods), and getting a burn on my arm all meant a lot to me. It was the hands-on that I like when I'm learning new techniques and also collaborating with the team was a positive experience. I appreciate getting to know them.

I found out that I really liked fried green tomatoes and I enjoy plating! 

Oh, and I passed my ServSafe exam! I am now certified as a food protection manager in case I want to open my own restaurant. Hopefully we will get hard copies of our certificates soon!

Here are some cookery pics of the food we created this week.

These are four different stocks (made by the entire class): dashi, mushroom, roasted garlic and herb, and a sweet vegetable stock. 



From those stocks we made sauces! We used those sauces in most of these dishes in the picture below (except for the salsa verde, which I hand chopped!). We made a roasted red pepper coulis, tomato sauce, veggie demi-glace, and a wild mushroom jus.



These next pictures are based off a wet cooking method. This means that we cooked these either by braising, steaming, poaching, etc. We made braised cabbage, fennel, and leeks, steamed carrots, vanilla poached pears with a sad chocolate drizzle, and a winter veggie stew with kale. Note, avoid chocolate drizzle if it is too soupy! 




These last few pics we used a dry cooking method. Dry cooking means you cook with oil, fat, the radiation on hot air, or metal to transfer heat (no moisture is used and any moisture from food evaporates; liquid escapes from a pan as vapor).  Some types of dry cooking are stir-frying, sauteing, grilling, roasting, baking, etc.

We made roasted eggplant rounds and asparagus spears, baked sweet potato steak fries, grilled okra and yellow squash, pan fried green tomatoes, roasted portabella mushrooms, and sauteed pears and apples with cherries, and a vegetable stir-fry.





2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?

I'm reminded that the culinary industry, just like my previous professional career, is about working with others. How you approach others, your tone, your intention, and your goals as a group matter. 

CHALLENGES

3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?

It was a little challenging for me to find a groove with my new team members in the beginning. This was the first week where we actually cooked together so I can only guesstimate that we were all trying to get a rythm established. In the end, we had a successful week. We plated our food first before the other teams two days in a row! Hi-fives for everyone :)




4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?

A couple of things come to mind. One, is to be aware of how I approach others and to be a good listener and observe the situation with kindness. We have a common goal which is to succeed in this program and why not lift each other up! There is no need to be a ego monster.

The other thing is this Gallop strength finder questionaire I took today. I'm curious how my results, along with my classmates, pan out. I believe it identifies what your strengths are and then that information is shared with my group so we all know a little more about each other. Sounds interesting and I'm glad I participated. 

That's it for this week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment