Saturday, July 18, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week #14

This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS

1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?

This was our last week with Ayurveda and we went on a field trip to the Natural Gardener and the Ghandi Bazaar. So those were fun! 

I also enjoyed the demonstrations given by Chef Rachel. She made a variety of desserts and I really liked the vegan caramel/chocolate dip served with fruit. I have to make that recipe soon!

Here are some photos:
This one is called suspended fruit. I used a vegan gelatin (agar flakes), soaked goji berries, and lychee fruit. It was a lightly sweetened dessert that firmed up really well. I garnished it with dried rose petals.



The other two photos below are a vegetable layered dish and we used an almond/herb ricotta as well as a sunflower/herb filling. 



Here is a photo of the vegan caramel/chocolate dip that I enjoyed:



2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?

I will take what I found to be inspiring this week and use it in my own special way. I've got to go back and sort through all the recipes to see how I can make a menu out of them. That's always fun to do.


CHALLENGES

3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?

Not a lot to mention here because I feel I have already mentioned in my previous post. 



4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?

Since this was our last week in Ayuerveda we had the opportunity to give feedback in class so I felt good about my notes. I enjoyed the class overall, both chefs have so much experience, and I felt fortunate to learn from them. 

Next week is culinary business!

Thanks for stopping by and see you next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment