Saturday, August 1, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week #16

This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS

1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?

It was great to finally start our RAW modality. There was some theory that we covered for a couple of days and then we gradually move to some recipes. I like the sprouting we did and my 'sprout babies' did really well! I will eat them this weekend :) 





I also enjoyed the demonstrations given by Chef Dianne. She showed us how to make nut milk and it was easy and tasted great. I will have to practice some more because we will be tested on this one. 

Here is Chef Dianne working on raw cinnamon rolls for us. They were very tasty and my husband really liked them!



The other thing I liked was making battered kale chips. Homemade kale chips taste way better than the store bought kind. I made a garlic and onion version that people seemed to enjoy. I also liked making corn tortillas, but I haven't tasted those yet since the dehydration process takes a little while. We will eat the tortillas this coming week during taco day :)

Here is a recipe called Creamy Thai Coconut Soup that we made on Tuesday afternoon:




2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?

Well, I will need to acquire some new equipment if I want to continue with making raw recipes. A must have in raw cooking is having a dehydrator and the flex sheets that go with the trays. I already have a Vitamix and a processor so I've got some things. And it wouldn't hurt to get some more nut milk bags since I only have one.


CHALLENGES

3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?

My timing was a little off when we were making our first round of raw recipes. You'd think I could get four recipes completed in time, but for some reason it didn't happen. I didn't make the Tamari almonds, but I'll ask Chef if I can get those in this week. 

For me, creating raw recipes is a new way to cook, but the difference is I have zero experience cooking this way. The techniques are new and I like that because it is challenging me to aquire a new set of skills.



4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?

Practice, practice, practice! There is no doubt that I will need to practice making nut milks, rolling nori, cracking open a young Thai coconut, and keeping my knife skills current. This all so exciting and I really like the way things are going.




No comments:

Post a Comment