Saturday, May 9, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week #6


This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS

1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?
I liked the pasta and dumpling lab, plating principles, vegan omelette, A La Minute, and the CSA challenge.

Even though I said I liked making the vegan omelette doesn't mean that it tasted good! We used a recipe we found online that used chickpea flour, but it still didn't taste good nor did it come out of the pan easily like a traditional omelette would. It's fine and now that I think about it I never really ordered omelette's when I used to eat eggs so I might put the brakes on finding a better recipe. There is a a restaurant here in Austin called Counter Culture that has a really good omelette so if I want one I will go there :)

Here are some pics for the A La Minute and the CSA Challenge. 

The A La Minute that we made was called Tucked In Tofu. Our team was great to work with and if I had to choose them again I certainly would! 


Here is a photo of food from our CSA (community supported agriculture) challenge. I made a grilled kale salad with apple cinnamon vinaigrette topped with a nut parmesan.

Here is a close-up of my grilled kale salad:


2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?
I will no doubt continue to find news ways of mixing and modifying my favorite recipes. There are so many recipes that exist, but as I learned this week recipes are a guideline to follow and being able to incorporate your own unique twist is the best!

CHALLENGES

3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?
I found the potato pancake recipe to be a challenge.


4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?
As I mentioned before, I think I will continue to work on finding and testing recipes before I settle on one that I can truly endorse. The potato pancake is one of those recipes. The recipe I used for my test this past Thursday was a little too wet even though I pressed the mixture a few times through a calendar. Oh well, it's a work in progress :)

This is how I ended this week at school...eating this chocolate cupcake with orange flavored buttercream frosting made by Chef Inge! I wish I had one right now. This cupcake marks a new section of my training. This means that BAKING starts and will continue for the next three weeks! So excited about this! See you next week and Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment