Saturday, May 16, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week #7

This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS
1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?
I enjoyed the waffles, custards, and making dough in class this week.

I also liked knowing how to make my own natural food coloring by using fruits and/or vegetables. Even though the artificial flavors result in a brighter color I wouldn't want to ingest those chemicals or artificial flavorings. The natural food coloring does result in a lighter shade (like a pastel) but I think those are pretty anyway.

Here are pictures from this week's baking class. My favorite was the coconut creme caramel. It was so delicious and there was no egg used for the custard part. I used agar flakes and it set up nicely! My plating of the custard could have been done more neatly, but I wanted to plate on time! 

Here are the waffles! I made the waffles that had orange supremes on top with the blueberries :) They were whole grain and tasted good!


These are the quick breads, cupcakes, and muffins:

Here we have the delicious vegan custards, chocolate mousse, and strawberry almond ice cream. My lab partner Tiana made the ice cream and it was my favorite! 


And to round out the week, here we have our sweet and savory pastries. I made the vegan dough for the empanadas and I stuffed them with a chorizo seitan, garlic, red onion, and bell pepper. It was tasty. 

We also made peach cinnamon pie and apricot, ginger and pistachio scones. 




2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?
Once I gradute this program I would like to incorporate more heatlhy baking. Being more aware of the natural substitutions that are available is helpful, and to consider other people's diet. These desserts should only be eaten once in a while not every week. Moderation is key and having well balanced meals is the best. 


CHALLENGES
3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?
I'd like to improve upon my dough making skills. My dough for the empanadas turned out well, but my dough for the scones needs some improvements. 


The other challege this week for me is a new class called the science of nutrition. Even though I am super excited about this class it will be a challenge for me, and in speaking with my classmates it will be a challenge for them as well. Hopefully the information presented will sync up better for all of us!


4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?
For the scones - I'll need to practice that one more since that recipe will be on my practicum in a couple of weeks. I feel pretty confident that I can make this recipe turn out well :)

As for the science of nutrition class, it will be a matter of taking it one day at a time. I'm hoping for the best outcome for all of us.


Thanks for stopping by and see you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment