Saturday, May 23, 2015

NE Highlights and Challenges | Week #8

This is a class assignment that I write about at the end of each week called Highlights and Challenges. If you are new to my blog I am enrolled at The Natural Epicurean Culinary Academy in Austin, Texas and this is my online journal (among other things!).

HIGHLIGHTS

1. Describe: What did you find especially exciting, interesting, inspiring, satisfying and/or fun this week in the kitchen?

Baking, baking, baking! So much fun! 

I cannot tell you how great it was to work with yeast, mix dough with your bare hands, and proof dough outside in the warm humid Texas weather! Also, the other great thing was eating the final product! I have to make those cinnamon rolls again and share them. Here is a pic of the cinnamon rolls, slong with the other breads that were proofing outside:


I did share some of our baked goods with some colleagues/friends of mine that just moved into the same location as our school. I caught them a bit off guard because they thought the baked goods were made the traditional way (with animal products), but I informed them that everything I gave them was vegan. They were surprised and I was happy to let them know that you can have baked goods that still have big flavor and no animals were harmed. Yay!


I also had a splendid time with my team mates this week. This was my first time working with Rae and the other person was Amy. I worked with Amy during our very first week in lab. We had a positive synergy that I really appreciate. 

I feel inspired to bake this weekend and also to practice for my test next week. For the test I have to make a pancake (banana or pumpkin) and a scone (apricot, ginger, and pistachio). 

Here are some of the items we baked in class this week:




2. Reflect: In what ways have you begun to apply, develop or incorporate this and/or how does this influence your professional goals?

This baking class has made me aware that you can bake with healthier ingredients and again eat these items in moderation. You should not eat cinnamon rolls everyday! These are mental notes to keep so that I can refer to them later when I have paying clients to bake/cook for in the future.

CHALLENGES

3. Describe: What did you find especially challenging or difficult in the kitchen this week?

On the warmer days I noticed that one recipe I was working on was getting a bit challenging to roll into a small balls in my hands. Also, my hands were probably warmer thus creating a bit of stickyness. I put the cookie dough back in the fridge for a few minutes and washed my hands then I pulled the chilled dough from the fridge and worked fast to roll the dough and got them into the oven to bake. It worked out.

As I mentioned last week, the science of nutrition class was a bit challenging and I got my test back with a passing grade. Not my highest grade, but I passed. I've got several other tests this coming week so I'm hoping for the best and I will be relieved when the week will be over! Lot's of studying this weekend for me.

4. Reflect: What might you do to meet and overcome these challenges or difficulties?

I plan on spending my memorial day studying, practicing, and memorizing information. 

Thanks for stopping by!
See you next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment